The 1989 Book Tag

Thursday 23 July 2015

Hey guys, I'm here today with a tag created by Charnell at Reviews from a Bookshelf (link here to her blog and to her twitter, go check her out she's awesome!) The whole point of this tag is to answer a load of questions that match up to the songs from Taylor Swift's album '1989'. Nice and simple! You don't need to actually know the songs to take part, but we've all been encouraged to take part anyway! Now in the original tag Charnell does a few questions for each song but I'm just going to pick one for each to make it easier!  So here we go!

Question 1: Welcome to New York. A book with LGBT themes.

This one is easy! Simon vs the Homosapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli. It's a touching contemporary novel focusing on the coming out story of a teenage boy called Simon. Except it doesn't go as smoothly as planned when somebody finds out about the email correspondences he's been having with an anonymous boy named Blue and threatens to leak them on the school's Tumblr if he doesn't cooperate! It is easily one of my favourites of the year!


Question 2: Blank Space. A book that hit you right in the feels but was totally worth it.

I could quite easily say Simon for this question too but I'll go One by Sarah Crossan. I read it recently and it is beautiful! Easily another favourite. It's a book told in free verse about conjoined twins who have to face the real world of high school when the money runs out to keep them homeschooled. They have to venture out into a world of stares and comments made behind their backs, but while they're busy surviving and making friends in the tough high school society, something is looming in the background that will change the fates of the girls forever. Utterly heartbreaking this book, but so, so worth it!

Question 3: Style. A timeless classic that you love.

There's no question about it. The answer just has to be Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. Easily. It was the book that inspired my love of reading and that created such a large bond between me and my mother. It still is present in our lives today and I owe so much to that book. I will read it over and over again until the pages fall out.


Question 4: Out of the Woods. A book that had vivid world building.

Ooh difficult one! There are so many books that I've read this year that have amazing world building! I think however I'll have to go with A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E.Schwab. I loved it, it was absolutely brilliant and the alternate versions of London that Victoria creates are stunning and extremely vivid. You can definitely tell each of them apart just by their descriptions, theres no blending of worlds at all!

Question 5: All You Had To Do Was Stay. A book that you were eagerly anticipated, but ended up being disappointed with.

Chopstix by A.T. Raydan. I've spoke about my extreme disappointment of this book before in other tags, but when I put in to win a review copy of this book I was so pumped! A kick ass female protagonist turned vigilante with chopsticks for weapons! I loved the premise! It had so much potential and as soon as I read it I loathed it. I got 33 pages in. It was written like it was aimed at a seven year old when it was supposed to be YA. The character made so many childish choices for a college girl - it was very debatable!

Question 6: Shake it Off. A book/series that everyone seems to love but you can't help but hate.

Now I wouldn't say hate exactly, but more could not understand all of the hype but The Accident Season by Moira Fowley-Doyle. I could not wait for this book to arrive at my door. It sounded so intriguing and full of life and the first half was, but then it just fell completely on it's face at the end. I found it predictable and I wasn't in love with any of the characters. It just completely fell flat which is always a shame for a book you want to love. I just struggled to understand why it gets so much praise. Sorry!

Question 7: I Wish You Would. A book series you know you'll always love.

The Percy Jackson and the Olympians/Heroes of Olympus series by Rick Riordan. I'm counting both as they're just a spin off and it's a continuation of Percy's story! I adore Rick Riordan books. I will literally devour anything mythology related that he writes. It's literal perfection. I grew up with Percy very similarly to how I did with Harry Potter, but Percy's sass and amazing characterisation will stick in my heart forever. Also, Percybeth is adorable.

Question 8: Bad Blood. A character you once loved but grew to hate.

This is a difficult one! Very difficult indeed! I think I'd have to go with Maven from Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard. If you've read the book you'll know exactly why I grew to hate him and it fits in with the story so well. It's not just not liking how his character was written but the actions he makes in the end of the story that make me want to throw a brick at his head. Victoria Aveyard does a superb job at making you loathe Maven's character.

Question 9: Wildest Dreams. A book that was far too predictable.

Hmm predictability. Let me see. I'm going to say All The Bright Places by Jennifer Niven. Whilst I really enjoyed that book, I saw the ending coming from page 1. Especially as it had been compared to John Green's TFIOS. I mean come on, it's obvious. That doesn't go to say that I didn't get a bit emotional over it because Jennifer does an amazing job at building up tension in those final few chapters leading up to the event and then dealing with the after effects. Beautiful.

Question 10: How You Get the Girl. One of your favourite books where the guy got the girl.

Got to be Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. So easy! Ron and Hermione! So much tension between those to characters the entire series, I could not wait until the kiss scene in the final book. I squealed so loud at that scene. It made me so happy! Especially with how much they had gone through throughout that book!


Question 11: This Love. A book that completely shocked you.

A Robot in the Garden by Deborah Install. I haven't read Adult fiction in a while - I think it's just because I prefer the lives of young adults but I loved this little adventure story. It was amazing! In the beginning I thought it was going to be quite plain and easy to read but it was so much more than that. I never thought I'd fall in love with a little robot before. So cute!


Question 12: I Know Places. A book you didn't want to be seen reading. 

As much as I loved this book and promote everything it stands for, it would have to be Trouble by Non Pratt. Purely and simply because there is sperm all over the cover and when you're reading it on the way to work, surrounded by old people, you do tend to get some very questionable looks. Especially as a guy. They'd think I was reading smut!


Question 13: Clean. When the wait between books makes you forget everything that happened. 

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer series by Michelle Hodkin. There was such a long release date between books 2 and 3 that I completely forgot what had happened in the previous two books. I still haven't gone back and re-read them even though they're just sitting there on the shelf. Whoops!


And there we have it! That was the amazing 1989 Book Tag! Thank you to Charnell for creating this tag and even though I wasn't tagged specifically, I still really enjoyed it. Now I'm going to tag a few people. It's not compulsory to do it but I'd love to see the answers to your questions!

I'm going to tag:

Have fun guys! If you haven't been tagged and you still want to do it, go for it! 

1 comment:

  1. YAY!!! :) Thank you for doing this tag, and for all your awesome answers. I've heard really good things about Simon vs the Homosapiens Agenda, I really want to read that one. I just read One yesterday and I absolutely loved it, but it broke my heart and made me cry so much. HP!!! I LOVE THAT >.< Vicious is one I really want to read as well, sounds so good. All the Bright Places is one I really enjoyed, and felt I knew what was coming but wished it wouldn't and kind of held out hope until the end that it wouldn't. I WAS IN DENIAL!!! Ron and Hermione are my favourite couple, loved them finally getting together <3

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Copyright © 2014 The Blogger's Bookshop
Template by These Paper Hearts